The Union Public Service Commission, which conducts Indian Economic Service, sets eligibility criteria to be eligible for the competitive examination. Indian Economic Services examination is conducted by the Union Public service Commission (UPSC) every year, to recruit Grade IV officers for the Indian Economic Service (IES). The notification of Indian Economic Service Examination is generally published in the month of June or July. For further details, you can refer to the commission notice for the exam when it is published in the Employment news or daily newspapers. The eligibility criteria for Indian Economic Service exam is given in the following lines.
UPSC Indian Economic Service Examination Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate must be a citizen of India or must be a subject of Nepal/ Bhutan, or Tibetan refugee who have been in India before 1st January, 1962 and have came with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- The candidate must be of Indian origin that has migrated from Burma or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, Pakistan the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Sri Lanka and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Candidate belonging to above categories except Indian Citizen must have the certificate of eligibility that has been issued by the Government of India.
- The candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on 1st January, 2011.
- The upper age relaxation for SC/ST/PH/OBC and other eligible candidates will be as per the rules and regulations of UPSC.
Minimum Educational Qualifications:
- Candidates should be post graduates from a recognized university in Economics/ Business Economics / Applied Economics /Econometrics for Indian Economic Service. Even candidates appearing in the qualifying degree examinations are also eligible provisionally subjected to producing proof of passing along with detailed application form.
The candidates are required to be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Indian Economic Service.