Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts an entrance examination known as UPSC Geologist Exam. This is a competitive job entrance examination conducted for those, seeking employment either in Geological Survey of India or in Central Ground Water Board. The examination is conducted for recruiting manpower particularly for the post of Geologist (Junior) Group A in the Geological Survey of India and for Jr. Hydro geologists (Scientist B), Group A and Assistant Hydro geologists Group B in the Central Ground Water Board. In nutshell, candidates desirous to work on any of the aforesaid posts are required to appear for the UPSC Geologist Exam. Candidates will be selected on the basis of merits obtained by them in the test followed by an interview (personality test).
UPSC Geologist Exam Application Forms 2011
Go through the following lines to get the registration procedure of UPSC Geologist Exam 2011.
- Candidates have two options to register for the Union Public Service Commission Geologist Examination 2011. The two options are pen-paper mode and online mode.
- Candidates can register themselves in common application form, which is devised by the commission for its examinations.
- Applicants can obtain UPSC Geologists Exam 2011 application form from various designated Head Post Offices/Post Offices, whose details are available at the commission's official website.
- The application form will cost Rs 20, which a candidate needs to pay in cash only.
- Alternatively, candidates who are very net savvy and willing to apply online only can do the same by visiting the UPSC's online portal's official website: http://www.upsconline.nic.in.
UPSC Geologist Exam 2011 Preparation Tips
Some useful tips for preparing for the Union Public Service Commission Geologist Examination 2011 are given below:
- To start with, candidates must chalk out a time schedule to prepare systematically.
- Next, a candidate must make him/her familiar with the latest examination pattern of UPSC Geologist Exam.
- Thereafter, candidates must search for the syllabus of the UPSC Geologist Exam and prepare it well.
- Once a test taker is done with the entire syllabus, he/she start practicing the sample papers of Union Public Service Commission Geologist Examination, on regular basis.
- Candidates must carry all the latest information about current affairs and latest happenings of their state, city, nation and world at large, along with them.
- The test takers must read books, which would help them in preparing for the UPSC Geologist Exam 2011.
UPSC Geologist Exam 2011: Test Pattern
UPSC Geologist Exam 2011 is divided into two parts - Written Exam and Personality Test.
The written test consists of five sections, which are mentioned below:
- General English (100 marks)
- Geology Paper 1 (200 marks)
- Geology Paper 2 (200 marks)
- Geology Paper 3 (200 marks)
- Hydrogeology (200 marks)
- The test comprises of essay-type questions for each topic.
- The medium of the question paper will be English.
Personality Test, which comprises of total 200 marks, is conducted for those candidates who have passed by written test. The test is conducted to examine the candidates’ skills and abilities that are for the post.
UPSC Geologist Exam 2011 Syllabus
The syllabus of UPSC Geologist Exam 2011, according to each section, is mentioned in following lines:
Vocabulary, grammar, correct usage of words, sentence structure, antonyms and synonyms etc.
Geology Paper I
Palaeontology, Structural Geology, Geotectonics, Stratigraphy Geomorphology and Remote Sensing etc.
Geology Paper II
Geochemistry, Environmental Geology, Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology, Sedimentology and Mineralogy.
Geology - Paper III
Geology of fuels, Engineering geology, Ore genesis, Mineral exploration, Indian mineral deposits and mineral economics.
Well hydraulies and well design, Groundwater chemistry, Groundwater exploration, Groundwater problems and management, Origin, occurrence and distribution of water etc.