Government Medical College (GMC) Amritsar, Punjab, offers various medical courses at undergraduate as well as postgraduate levels.

Government Medical College Amritsar

Government Medical College Amritsar, Punjab, was established in 1943. Renowned as one of the oldest and a forefront medical college in India, it was founded in 1864 as a medical school in Lahore. In 1920, the college was established in Amritsar. It was later on given the status of a medical college in 1943. Government Medical College Amritsar is affiliated to Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot.
Government Medical College Amritsar imparts various courses of in the field of medical sciences, at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. All the courses offered by the college are in accordance with the Medical Council of India (MCI), New Delhi. A hospital was also attached to the college in 1974, namely, the Guru Nanak Dev Hospital. The college and the hospital are spread across 163 acres of land.

Affiliated to: Baba Farid University of Health Sciences


The college offers the following undergraduate programmes:
B Sc
B Sc (Nursing)


The college offers the following diploma courses:

  • Medical Laboratory technology (DMLT)
  • Radiography (DR)

Post Graduate:
The college offers the following postgraduate programmes:
M Sc
    MD (Anaesthesiology)
    MD (Community Medicine)
    MD (Forensic Medicine)
    MD (Medicine)
    MD (Microbiology)
    MD (Obstetrics and Gynecology)
    MD (Pathology)
    MD (Pharmacology)
    MD (Physiology)
    MD (Psychiatry)
    MD (Radio-Diagnosis)
    MD (TB & Respiratory Diseases)
    MS (Anatomy)
    MS (General Surgery)
    MS (Ophthalmology)
    MS (Orthopaedics)
    MS (Otorhinolaryngology)


The candidate must have passed 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry and Biology and English, from any recognized Board.

Bachelor of Science (B Sc)
To be eligible, the aspirant needs to have completed 10+2 examination in Science from any recognized Board.

Higher Secondary Certificate examination with Science from any recognized Board is compulsory to be eligible.

Post Graduate:
The candidate must have done Graduation in the relevant field from any recognized University.
Admission Procedure:

85 % of the candidates are selected through Punjab Medical Entrance test (PMET), while the remaining seats are filled by the All India Medical Entrance Examination (CBSE Examination).

Bachelor of Science (B Sc)
Entrance test is held to get admission in this program.

Entrance Test: PMET

Post Graduate:
As much as 75% candidates are selected through Punjab Post Graduate Test for 75% seats. Marks obtained by the candidates in All India Post Graduate Medical Entrance Examination are considered, to fill the remaining 25% seats.

Admission is done through an entrance test for this course.
  • Modern medical facilities
  • Library
  • Laboratory
  • Computer facilities
  • Extra curricular activities

Contact Address:
Government Medical College Amritsar
Circular Road
Amritsar - 143 001, Punjab
Phone: +91-183-2426918, 2421977
Fax: +91-183-2426506

move to top