Information on courses, admissions process, exams & results of Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (TANUVAS Chennai), Chennai

Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University

Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, also known as TANUVAS is the first veterinary and animal sciences university, in entire Asia. Being an autonomous institution, TANUVAS is governed by its Board of Management which regulates the policies in accordance with the provision of act. The university was started to fulfill the aim of imparting education, to ensure advancement of learning in different branches of veterinary and animal sciences. 

Educational Streams 
TANUVAS imparts education in several disciplines of veterinary sciences at Undergraduate, Postgraduate and PhD level. Undergraduate courses offered by the institute are Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry, Fisheries Science, and Fish Processing Technology. 

Postgraduate degree programs offered here are on Veterinary Science and Fisheries Science. Doctoral degrees are available in Veterinary and Animal Sciences, and Fisheries Sciences. Postgraduate Diploma is offered in Business Management (Animal & Fisheries Sciences), Bio-informatics, Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosis, Companion Animal Practice, and Wild Animal Disease Management. MPhil is accorded in Biotechnology. Department of Distance Education conducts correspondence courses. 

Minimum educational qualification required for applying for undergraduate level degree courses is a pass in Higher Secondary. In Postgraduate courses, 75% of the admission strength for the year is available for the candidates from Tamil Nadu while the remaining 25% is reserved for candidates from other states through ICAR. Candidates for PG courses must posses a Graduation degree in the appropriate discipline for being eligible.
Hostel facilities are available in-campus for the students. The University has established a Students Counseling and Placement Cell (USCPC) that takes care of the needs of students for their placements in various institutions / organizations nationally and internationally. 

Scholarships such as Harijan Welfare and Backward Class scholarships are available for the deserving and needy students. The University's Library hosts a rich collection of books and journals. It has introduced full-text access to e-books and back volumes of foreign journals for the benefit of students, research scholars, faculty members and scientists of TANUVAS. The students are trained in various spheres of life by exposing them to extra-curricular activities such as NCC, NSS, etc.
TANUVAS was started as Agricultural School in Chennai to offer diploma and certificate course in the field of veterinary and animal sciences as early as 1876. Later, in the year 1989, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (shortly known as TANUVAS) was established under an act of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.


  • Centre for Animal Health Studies
  • Centre for Animal Production Studies,
  • Clinics
  • Extension Education
  • Directorate of Research (Animal Sciences),
  • Directorate of Research and Extension (Fisheries)
  • Faculty of Basic Sciences

Contact Details:
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University,
Madhavaram Milk Colony
Chennai - 600 051

Phone: +91-44-25551586, 25551587, 25554555, and 25554556
Fax: +91-44-25551575, and 255515,
PrintRecommend This Site
Report Error


move to top