Annamalai University, which ventured with a modest beginning with only seven departments, has now strengthened into a mighty institution providing higher education in a galaxy of subjects. Over the years Annamalai Nagar has developed into a busy and complete University town east of Chidambaram.
Annamalai University has established close associations between the neighboring industries and the institutions for promoting research and training programmes. The Annamalai University is a unitary university with several colleges affiliated to it. Since its inception, the University has grown into an eminent unitary and residential University with a wide array of teaching staff and a large number departments. The faculties and Directorate of Distance Education have started a number of new courses in recent years.
The University is now among the rare institutions in India which have all the Faculties located in the same campus. The University hosts a well equipped Central Library and Laboratories to facilitate research projects, for PhD and Post-Doctoral work. The colleges, hostels and playgrounds occupy huge area in the University Campus. The University pays special attention to the development of the Physical Education Department, by enhancing it with Tennis Complex, Gymnasium and Sports Laboratory.
Annamalai University was established in 1929, founded by philanthropist and patron of letters the late Honorable Dr. Rajah Sir Annamalai. Padma Bhushan Dr. Rajah Sir Muthiah Chettiar of Chettinad nurtured the growth of the University as the Pro-Chancellor from 1948 to 1984.
- Political Science
- Population Studies
- Business Administration
- Library and Information Science