Combined Defence Services Examination 2011, popularly known as CDS Exam 2011, is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). UPSC conducts the examination to recruit the most deserving and fit candidates into the defense services of India. Candidates desirous to serve their nation by working in defense services of India are required to appear for UPSC CDS Exam. In nutshell, Combined Defence Services Examination is a gateway for candidates who want to pursue their career in defence. UPSC conducts the Combined Defence Services Examination twice a year. In this year i.e. 2011, the CDS (I) Exam was held on February 13, 2011. While, CDS (II) Exam 2011 is scheduled to be held on September 18, 2011.
Defence Services of India
- Indian Military Academy (IMA)
- Naval Academy (NA)
- Air Force Academy (AFA)
- Officers' Training Academy (OTA)
UPSC CDS Exam 2011 Application Forms
Candidates desirous to appear for the UPSC CDS Exam 2011, which is also referred to as Combined Defence Services Examination 2011, will have to register for the same. Candidates who want to register for the test might search for the registration procedure of UPSC CDS Exam 2011. The registration procedure for the Combined Defence Services Examination 2011 is given below.
- Candidates can apply online for the UPSC CDS Exam 2011 by visiting the UPSC's official website: http://www.upsconline.nic.in.
- Candidates applying online must read all the instructions carefully before filling the form.
- Candidates can also apply in the Common Application Form devised by commission for its examinations.
- Candidates can obtain UPSC Combine Defense Service Exam 2011 common application form from the designated Head Post Offices/Post Offices (list available at UPSC official website: http://www.upsc.gov.in/) by paying Rs 20 in cash.
UPSC CDS Exam 2011 Preparation
Candidates who are going to appear for the Combined Defence Services Examination 2011, popularly known as UPSC CDS Exam 2011, might look for some tips, which are highly important in acquiring excellent scores in the job entrance test. To prepare for UPSC CDS Exam 2011, candidates should follow the tips given below:
- Candidates preparing for Combined Defence Services Examination 2011 must start their preparation by making a time table.
- Test takers must chalk out the time table in such a way that no section or topic of the test will remain untouched. In nutshell, candidates must give appropriate time to each section or topic of the test.
- Candidates should search for the examination pattern of the Combined Defence Services Examination and understand it carefully.
- Candidates must also look for UPSC CDS Exam Syllabus in order to prepare well.
- In case of any doubts, candidates must refer to some books and study materials available for UPSC CDS Exam 2011.
- In addition, the prospective test takers must practice various sample papers available, so as to get a glimpse of the actual question paper of the test.
- Candidates must be well informed about the latest or current events about their state, nation and world at large.
Examination Pattern for UPSC CDS Exam 2011
Apart from the aforesaid tips, candidates who are appearing for the Combined Defence Services Examination 2011 might search for the examination pattern of the test. Exam pattern of the UPSC CDS Exam is given below:
- The question paper of UPSC CDS Exam, for Indian Military Academy, Naval Academy and Air Force Academy, is based on subjects including English, General Knowledge (GK) and Elementary Mathematics.
- Candidates will be allotted two hours duration for each subject.
- Each subject carries 100 marks.
- Officer' Training Academy’s (OTA) question paper is based on only English and General Knowledge (GK). Both subjects carry 100 marks individually.
- Duration for the subjects is two hours each.
- The question papers of GK and Elementary Mathematics will be set up in Hindi as well as in English.
- The question papers include the questions involving the metric system of weights and measures only, wherever necessary.
Syllabus of Combined Defence Services Examination 2011
To prepare well in advance for the UPSC CDS Exam 2011, candidates must be aware about the syllabus of the same. Subject wise syllabus of the Combined Defence Services Examination 2011 is given below:
There is no syllabus prescribed to prepare for a language subject. Test takers must be clear with the basic concepts of the language. The same way, to prepare for the English section of the UPSC CDS Exam 2011, a candidate must be aware about all the basic concepts of the language. For this, the prospective test takers must practice Reading Comprehension, Correction of Sentences, Articles, Prepositions and Tenses & Spelling etc. Along with this, candidates must improve their Vocabulary.
General Knowledge (GK)
To prepare for this section of the Combined Defence Services Examination 2011, candidates must keep themselves update about all the latest happenings and current events of their nation, state and world at large. Besides, test takers must take a look on the history of India, geography, etc.
This section of the test demands lots of practice. To crack this section of the UPSC CDS Exam 2011, test takers must practice Arithmetic, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Mensuration, Statistics etc. on regular basis. Along with this, candidates must do an in-depth study of Number System-Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers etc. Besides, candidates must brush up the concepts of Basic Operations, Simple Factors, Remainder Theorem, HCF, LCM Theory of Polynomials etc. Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on Properties of angles at a point, Parallel lines etc must be on the tips of the candidates.