In order to select the candidates who deserve to be recruited at various posts in Engineering Services under government sector, UPSC Engineering Services Examination, which is also popularly called UPSC IES Exam, is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) of India. The entrance exam is organized every year for three days in the month of May or June and the notification regarding the same is issued in the month of January or February. The posts are further grouped under four categories - Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Electronics & Tele-communication Engineering. To appear for UPSC Engineering Services Examination, the candidates are required to meet the eligibility criteria set by the commission. Various test centers have been allocated by the commission. The candidates desirous to appear for the exam can choose the test center as per their convenience.
Interview, also referred to as personality test, forms the important part of selection criteria of UPSC IES Exam. The final selection of the candidates depends on their performance in the written exam, followed by personality test/interview. A two-way communication process is conducted between a panel of proficient, experienced and unbiased interviewers and the candidate in order to assess the latter’s knowledge, abilities and skills required for the post. The candidate’s way of conduct, overall personality, leadership qualities, initiative and intellectual curiosity, ability to adapt to different situations, awareness related to the field is also judged. Only the candidates, who excel in the written exam, are short-listed for the final stage of selection procedure i.e. the personality test.
Indian Engineering Services Examination Interview Tips
- Interview/ personality test forms an important part of the selection criteria for the candidates desirous to secure position at various engineering services under public sector. Candidate’s knowledge as well as overall personality is judged at the personality test. The questions and pattern of the interview is quiet unpredictable. However, the interview/personality test tips given below can help candidates to prepare well for it.
- The candidates are advised to reach place of the interview prior to the given time.
- Meet the interviewing board with a smile and a proper wish while entering and before leaving.
- Complete and take all the required documents, in a folder.
- Upgrade yourself with the latest developments in the field and area of interest.
- Wear proper attire for an interview. Dressing in suit in summer season, jeans, T shirt, and multi colored pants should be strictly avoided while appearing for the interview.
- Show a positive attitude and be confident while facing the interviewers.
- Be precise and to the point while answering the questions. Do not give vague answers.
- Do not anticipate any question. Listen and understand the complete questions first and then start replying.
- Be firm in your views. In case of extreme view justify it completely.
Express your views slowly and clearly to the Board. So, that they can understand each & every word of it without interrupting you.
Do not boast much about your knowledge. Convey the keenness to learn more.
Express your views in as few words as possible. Do not give lengthy lectures.
Be conscious of your body language while answering the questions of the Board.
Do not take mobile phones/pagers or any other electronic device along with you while interview.
Try to conduct mock interviews in front of a mirror. It helps in rectifying any shortcomings.
Have a cheerful and approachable conduct, as it helps in building a good rapport with the other side and they can remember you amongst hundreds of aspirants.