XAT (Xavier Admission Test) Exam is a national level entrance test, which is conducted by Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur. The institute conducts entrance test for admission into various postgraduate diploma programs in the field of management at Xavier Institutes and more than 50 other prominent business schools in India such as Loyola Institute of Business Administration, S P Jain Institute of Management and Research Mumbai.
Xavier Admission Test (XAT) is considered as one of the most important and popular entrance tests for management courses, in India. The candidates can never expect actual pattern of the entrance test because the examination pattern of XAT exam changes from year to year. Generally, the format of the test is divided into these two parts:
Objective Type Questions
- The question paper consists of multiple type questions. Each question carries four options, in which candidates have to find out the right answer.
- The candidates have to answer each part within 40 minutes duration. The number of the questions is 200, which may change time to time.
- There is a provision of negative marking, that is, one-third mark is deducted for each wrong answer.
The objective type questions are divided into three parts:
- Part one - Reading Comprehension and Verbal Ability questions
- Part two - Quantitative Ability, Reasoning and Data Interpretation
- Part three - General Knowledge
The objective type questions are followed by essay writing. The candidates have to write an essay of around 250-300 words on the given topic. They are expected to write essay within 20 minutes duration, which may extend to 15-20 minutes.